Tuesday, June 12, 2007

kids' letters home

June 11th

Dear Jonah,

You know how you like to say “mas” a lot? Well, that’s a Spanish word. And today at school I heard it I think it was at least 5 times. They use that word a lot, especially if you go to the store, they ask you if there’s anything else you want. Probably most of the stuff you wouldn’t like at our school because it’s pretty boring except today we had this program that we were showing to the governor. I don’t think you would like most of the Mexican food that they have here because it’s really really hot, at least the stuff that’s homemade. I think you would like the little tiny yogurts that they have and they come with these tiny spoons too so you could eat all of it. You wouldn’t be able to scoot around very easily, even in the house, because it’s mostly cement and there’s cobblestone roads and there aren’t very many sidewalks.

Audrey


Dear Emma and Grace,

I think you would like meeting new friends here because if you’re American, they want to be friends with you. Even if you’re a girl or a boy or if you’re the same age. It’s way different than the way it is in the United States. Because there boy’s won’t be your friends. The bread’s really good. We have to buy it every single day because it’s so good and we finish is at the end of the day. Today we ate two loaves. They have tons of gum. The juice is really good. They have really nice clothes here and cute shoes. Because I was looking at the shoes today. Some of the food here is really hot, so you probably wouldn’t like it as much, and they don’t speak English so you wouldn’t understand much either. But my teacher understands enough that she can help me just a bit. Five boys like me at school and I don’t think you would like any boys to like you at school. I think it’s just because of our hair and eye color. Yesterday we saw a toad. And Ceci named it Toady. You have to wear sandals when you go in the shower and you have to have shoes and socks wherever you go because there’s bacteria. Love you. Miss you.

Audrey

Dear Caroline and Anna,

I spied for you at school for what you would like and wouldn’t like and I don’t think you would like most of the things. Except for recess. Because all we do is, like, do word work in Spanish and Math in Spanish. I don’t think you would like sitting there for that long and I don’t think you would like going to the program that we had today. Because you had to sit still and listen. And I don’t think you would like the fact that you don’t understand a THING. I don’t think you would like the popsicle that is tamarind and chile. It tastes sour and sweet and salty all at the same time. It’s really icky. I think you would like their watermelon at school. It’s really crunchy and juicy and it tastes like fresh watermelon. I bet all the kids would like to play with you because you have blue eyes and blond hair. They would pick Anna up and go somewhere with her so all their friends could see her. I think everybody would like you guys because you guys are fun and I think you would get bored in class and you’d run around and the kids in my class would laugh because it would be funny. I think you would like the little yogurts that they have at the store. You can buy. Cecily really likes them. Love you. Miss you.

Elliot

June 9

Dear Austin (aka bumblebee)

I want to tell you what a day at school is like for me. The first day, which was Tuesday, I went to school and I didn’t understand anything and I thought of back home in Logan and I really wanted to be there. Some things you might like about my school is you only have to pay one dollar for lunch and twenty cents for breakfast. It’s pretty good. Today I had a quesadilla. I wasn’t really hungry to Audrey ate two quesadillas. I think you might like the recess here because it’s like an hour and a half long. It’s really long and it’s really fun recess for the two days I’ve been at school. The length of school is only four hours, so it’s kind of not as hard. I think you would like the fact that you can pick up the boys tricks in soccer easily if you just watch them carefully and I’m becoming a really good soccer player by watching them.

I think what you wouldn’t like about my school is everybody talks really quick to you so you can’t understand questions and you have to say “Mande?” which means “what?” in Spanish. It makes me feel kind of silly to keeping having to ask “Mande”. The other thing you might not like is there’s not very many blondies in this country, and I’m a kind of a blondie and so are you, and I kind of have blue eyes and you have blue eyes so the kids like stare at you because the kids there all have brown eyes. The first day it made me feel like I was in the zoo. And on the first day I fell off a wall and I fell on my stomach. And after that I went up and sat with Bianca and those guys, where the soccer place is, and half of the school was just staring at me and Audrey and some of them were asking me if I was okay because they saw me fall.

Today I kicked a ball up on the roof and it went in somebody’s backyard so Bizmark, that’s one of our friends, and Audrey lifted me up over the wall and I went over and grabbed the ball and threw it over and I couldn’t get down and some older guys came and got me down and they played soccer with us and then they left. I thought I was kind of going to get stuck in that place hanging before those older guys came, because I got up onto the roof just fine, but I tried to get down but Bizmark and Audrey couldn’t help me down. I think I’m learning a lot of tricks about soccer. One of my tricks is you start going one way and then you pull back and put your foot on the ball and pull it the other way. That tricks them out. The other trick is to dribble backwards. When someone comes at you, you kick with the outside of your foot and you kind of dribble backwards and then you turn around and go. It’s fun. My other trick is, I start going one way and they’re running so fast that when they put one foot down I kick it through their legs and I go around them.

We made up a dessert for dinner. There are little tiny bananas that grow on the trees here and they’re only one or two inches long. We sliced them up, put them in a bowl and put yogurt on them and ate them and it was really good.

Bye. See you in a couple of months. What do you want me to bring you home?

Here are some Spanish words:
Maestro- teacher
Necesito ir al bano- I need to go to the bathroom
Lapiz- pencil
Pelota- ball

Elliot

June 10

Dear Ryan,

I am going to school in a Spanish school here in Mexico and it’s really fun. Yesterday I wanted to spy for what things you might like and what things you might not like. I think you might not like the stretches we did in PE. And I don’t think you would like how girls get crushes on you because you’re different and how people stare at you because you have white skin, although you do speak Spanish. I think you could fool them and they would think you were from Mexico. There’s also a popsicle they have that tastes different from ours. It tastes sour sweet and salt and hot all at the same time and it tastes really yucky. It’s tamarind and chili powder. I don’t think you would like it. The first time I tasted it, it tasted pretty good at first and I thought it was pretty good but when I started sucking on it, it started to get yucky. It didn’t taste very good so I spit it out in the garbage and we made Cecily, Grandma, Grandpa and my mom taste it and they all didn’t like it. But Cecily only tasted a chunk and she didn’t like it. Maybe you wouldn’t like the fact that the leche condensada looks so much like the mayonnaise because yesterday when I got home from school, Grandpa told me that he got into the fridge because he was fixing a sandwich for Grandma and he didn’t have his glasses on and so he reached in and there were two white bottles and he just picked the one that looked like the mayonnaise and it was actually leche condensada so Grandma ate a ham and leche condensada sandwich. She didn’t like it. Now we like to tease Grandpa. We moved the leche condensada to a different shelf from the mayonnaise.

I think you would like the watermelon at school because it’s really crunchy and it has a really good watermelon flavor. But you have to pick out the black seeds. I think you would like all the food except for one thing- it’s a clumpy salsa hot sauce and it’s really really really hot. I had to take five or six long drinks of water after I ate it with a tortilla at school. I think you would like playing soccer, except that the boys are really good here. And so they can fake you out easily. And I think you would like learning new tricks from them because if you can look at them carefully, you can see their tricks, and they’re not easy, but if you do them three or four times you can get with those tricks and now I can fake a lot of people out. I think you might like the stuff we do in class because it’s really hard work and you kind of like work. I think.

Love
Elliot

Dear Jacob and Nathan,

I spied for the things you guys might like and might not like yesterday in school. I thought you might like everything except the fact that you would only understand like ten words in the whole day. I think you would like that the school only lasts for four hours and I think you would like their prep time where you do PE or computers or music or whatever. It’s really fun. We play soccer and escondidas, which is hide and seek, and freeze tag. I think you would like playing soccer except that they boys are really good and they can fake you out easily, but if you watch them real carefully you can see what tricks they’re doing to fake you out and you can try to do that trick and once you do it two or three times you can get the hang of it and do it real good and once you do it for the day or so you can do it really good. Like if you practice after school’s done for the day. I think you’d like all the foods. Their watermelon is really good. It’s really crispy and juicy and it tastes fresh and it’s cheap too. It’s like eight pieces for 2 pesos, which is about 20 cents in our money. My favorite food to eat here is probably the tortillas and watermelon at school. And the chicharrones that you put sauce on. Just don’t choose the chunky kind of sauce that looks like salsa. It’s really hot. REALLY hot.

I think you wouldn’t like that once you get there, since you’re new, everybody would stare at you. Nathan has blue eyes and blond hair and they don’t see blue eyes or blond hair around there so they just stare at you. The first day of school we were waiting for my teacher Nelly and we were waiting outside her classroom on the patio kind of type things and there were steps and there was like 50 kids crowded around us staring at us and my mom said, “Now you know how animals in the zoo feel.” I think you wouldn’t like when people try to talk to you and you don’t understand anything because once I mistaked a word for something else, but I thought I understood, so I said “si” and they started laughing and the next day I looked it up and it was something else and I started to laugh too. There are three girls that have crushes on my in my class- Yesenia, Naomi, and Selene. You guys wouldn’t like to have girls have crushes on you. It’s kind of annoying and embarrassing at the same time because what if they’re asking you a question like, “Do you like me?” and you said “si” because you didn’t understand them and all the people started laughing?! It’s not fun. They just stare at you. It’s kind of hard to ignore them.

I hope your summer is fun too.

Elliot

June 14th
Dear Austin,

We don’t have any pictures of the cats but we will send you some as soon as we can get some pictures of them. We want to get a picture of Dulce standing up like a prairie dog. It’s really funny. My school gets out in about two weeks. I’m kind of happy and sad because I like my friends at school but I can’t understand anything. And if I can’t understand anything, I can’t learn. But I try. Yes we do have PE and computers, but those are the only ones we have. PE is really fun and computers you get to do whatever you want. It’s a free day every time.

I’m in Mrs. Kelley’s class next year. I just got the note from my dad. But we’ll still play with each other and our rooms are right across from each other. We should plan something like we should go every like Monday to each others house or something like that and then whenever we have free time we could see if we could play, but not including Monday.

My mom and dad say that I’ll be repeating Kindergarten except harder work. Because I’m with Mrs. Kelley again. I really wanted Mrs. Palmer or Mrs. Kelley. I wanted Mrs. Palmer more because you were in her class. Mrs. Kelley’s good though. I don’t really know Mrs. Eames. Remember, that’s how we became friends because we were in Mrs. Kelley’s class and then we split and then we went back together and then we went back together and then we split in fourth grade.

We saw a toad in our alleyway that we had and it was really big. It was about the size of a cantaloupe. This guy that lives in the same area as Jose, he was going into his house and he said be careful because that toad will squirt you in the eye because it’s poisonous and it will blind you. When we told my grandpa he said he’d heard of those kinds of toads. They’re called Cane Toads and they live in sugar cane. That’s why they’re around here, because they grow sugar cane fields around here. So we just need to leave them alone, but the toads and frogs eat mosquitoes. It’s just that nothing can kill them. Speaking of mosquitoes, I got a whole bunch of mosquito bites because me and Audrey were trying to climb a mango tree to get mangos and there were a lot of mosquitoes, about fifty, and they were swarming all around us.

Some more Spanish words I’m going to give you are:

Nosotros- us or we
Que hora es- I just learned today, is – what time is it?- or what hour is it?
Tenedor- fork
A donde vas?- is where are you going?
Tu- you
Amigo- friend

When we were walking home from school, we were walking and Jose saw this plant and he said to touch it and I said what’s it going to do to me and then he swiped my hand away and I felt it burning and there was acid on the plant so my cut really hurt. My mom wishes Jose would make the same kind of choices you do.

I miss playing with you. I can’t wait till I get home and give you some mango suckers with chili powder on them. They’re really good except hot.

Elliot

Nate,

Today at school I spied for you for what you would like and not like and I think you would like not having a teacher for most of the day. My teacher wasn’t there and so we had a substitute one but she only came in like three times because she had to teach another class, so mostly the class just did their work and then talked to each other. I think you would like their food. I think you would like their watermelon because it’s really nice and crispy and it’s really juicy, but today me and Audrey got watermelon and it had lime in it so it didn’t really taste good. Me and Audrey today, we tried a candy bar that they have and it was really good. It had milk chocolate for a first layer then nuts then white chocolate then a tube inside of like a light pastry of truffle and it was really good. I think you would like it. Audrey had two. Yesterday we had lunch at a restaurant and these Mariachi guys came up and asked if we wanted them to play their music for us and my grandpa said yes and it was really loud. There was trumpets and they felt like they were right behind my ears and if I turned around it would be right in my face. They did really good at playing. I think you would have liked it. I think maybe you could have played with them on the trombone.

I don’t think you would like sitting in class for four hours not understanding a thing except for like ten words. I don’t think you would like that when you have a shower and all the time when you’re walking you have to wear socks or shoes or sandals because there’s fungi on the ground because it’ll get on your feet and make them really sore and make bumps on them. I don’t think you would like that the boys are really good at soccer and it’s hard to get the ball away from them and I think you wouldn’t like that a lot of girls would like you because you’re new and people would stare at you because you have lighter hair and eyes than them.

Love,
Elliot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home